The more things change the more they stay the same. You would think one’s exposure and confrontation with racism would decrease as you climb the rungs of success but that’s not always the case. Take for example a gift international music icon, Janet Jackson, received while she was on tour.
This little doll is Maria. Janet recently tweeted a picture of the doll with the accompanying text:
During the tour, I was given this doll named Maria. She was advertised as lifelike. How does Maria make you feel?
Well. I don’t know how Maria makes you feel but I can tell you that she doesn’t exactly solicit warm fuzzies from me. I find the act of giving a doll like Maria to be more chilling than Maria herself. Clearly, this individual is sick and perhaps a bit dangerous. But Maria also raises a whole lot of questions. Who gave her this doll? How did they get it to Janet Jackson? What message were they trying to send? And perhaps most importantly, when will our country (and others) be done with the racially motivated or racially ignorant shenanigans and attacks?
How does Maria make you feel?
More on Madame Noire!
- What Did You Do To My Hair!? 6 Signs You’re Dealing With a Ratchet Stylist
- Trayvon Martin, His Witness and What We Should Be Teaching Our Children About Racism
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “A Different World”
- I Thought You Were Black? Teacher Tells Student to Read ‘Blacker’ in Class
- 6 Times You’ll Have To Accept No Sex For A While
- Teeny Weeny Afros & More: Celebrity Women Who Have Done the Big Chop
- Oh, The Ratchetness! Lewd Songs Women Can’t Deny They Love
- Monica and Brandy Open Up About Their Physical Altercation Back in 1998