“Basketball Wives” cast member Royce Reed has filed a motion to remove the judge handling the custody case over her son with ex Dwight Howard for an interesting reason: baby mama bias.
Royce says Judge Tim Shea doesn’t care much for single mothers who have babies out of wedlock with pro athletes, as evidenced by the fact that he didn’t let her present her side of the case during a court hearing last month. Royce’s attorney has also filed an affidavit saying that during the hearing, Judge Shea said he would award Dwight custody, then decided to delay his decision, despite the fact no evidence had been presented.
Royce also feels the judge may side with Dwight because he’s a local hero, but he also has a glaring conflict of interest, she says. On Judge Shea’s website, one of Dwight’s lawyers, Mayanne Downs, is listed as one of his endorsers. That fact alone ought to be enough to get him taken off the case.
As for Dwight’s end of the battle, he claims Royce interferes with his relationship with their son and makes it difficult for him to see Braylon on his scheduled days, so he wants to be granted primary custody rights. Typically, it’s harder for a man to gain sole custody but he appears to be hoping for a Dwayne Wade ruling.
What do you think about Royce’s baby mama bias and conflict of interest claims? Should Judge Shea be removed from the case?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Drop That Drink! Hidden Calories That Can Ruin Your Diet
- Chemistry Clash! Couples Whose Love Seems Lost…
- What You See Is What You Get: Red Flags Women Ignore
- Ruben Studdard – Life After “American Idol”
- Bedroom Breakdown: What His Moves Really Mean…
- Teeny Weeny Afros & More: Celebrity Women Who Have Done the Big Chop
- It Could Happen to You: Gay Men and the Women Who Date Them
- Style to Steal or Girl, Stop: Jada, J.Lo, Tyra and More Hot Looks and Hot Messes From This Week