Drake’s really taking this whole divo thing to a new level. It’s one thing to demand bomber jackets for a spring photo shoot, it’s another to expect someone to work for free when you’re buying out the bar and spending $45,000 a month in rent.
About a month ago, Ericka Lee, the woman who was on the voicemail recording in Drake’s song, “Marvin’s Room,” filed a lawsuit claiming Drake promised her co-writing credits and half of the profits from the song which, as you know, was a huge hit. Drake has now finally decided to respond to the suit with a sorry explanation: “she consented to the use of her voice in the song ‘Marvin’s Room’ for no compensation.”
While we obviously don’t know if that’s true or not, even if it is, where dey do dat at? Ericka may have been a little naive if she didn’t lock down a compensation agreement in writing, which I can see happening considering she claims she was more than just Drake’s business partner and that they had a romantic relationship as well. But how is Drake just going to take advantage of someone like that? No credit and no cash? He knows that type of business practice wouldn’t fly with any other artists, why not pay the girl a couple thousand dollars and be done with the whole thing?
In addition to denying he offered to pay Ericka initially, Drake also says he never promised “4-5%” of publishing monies plus a $50,000 payout to go away in November when Ericka first told him she hired a lawyer. He also denies any romantic involvement with her—surprise, surprise. Either way, Young Money needs to come up off the Cash Money. This is trifling.
What do you think about Drake thinking it’s OK to not pay Ericka for her work?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Drop That Drink! Hidden Calories That Can Ruin Your Diet
- Chemistry Clash! Couples Whose Love Seems Lost…
- What You See Is What You Get: Red Flags Women Ignore
- Ruben Studdard – Life After “American Idol”
- Bedroom Breakdown: What His Moves Really Mean…
- Teeny Weeny Afros & More: Celebrity Women Who Have Done the Big Chop
- It Could Happen to You: Gay Men and the Women Who Date Them
- Style to Steal or Girl, Stop: Jada, J.Lo, Tyra and More Hot Looks and Hot Messes From This Week