I don’t know about you but I could barely stomach Marlo on the “Real Housewives of Atlanta” trip to South Africa. From her knocking Sheree for only having one Rolex, to wearing Monolo’s on a safari, to having hotel staff pack her “red bottoms” one by one as she explained what they are, I couldn’t handle her.
But despite her appearance as a new-money boughie American on the trip, Marlo swears up and down that she’s not materialistic. She told ESSENCE.com:
“I just love being around beautiful things.”
Is that what it is?
Marlo went on to explain that her fascination with the finer things in life is just a result of not having much as a child.
“Because of all the darkness in my past and me being a child in foster homes, fashion is what I run to. And its not just fashion, I love having a beautiful home… I can sit right today and feel good because I have glitz and glam and it’s all mine.”
You would think someone who came from such humble beginnings would be much more…humble, but for Marlo, she takes pride in knowing she’ll never have to worry about going back to that type of life again.
“The main thing that always followed me from when I was a child is that I had to have a home. It’s just mine and I feel secure. I don’t have to worry about the foster care lady coming to move me to a different home.”
“It may not be the best thing to say, but it’s my truth.”
Well, I guess everybody has their own truth. Does Marlo’s past as a foster child justify her behavior or is there no excuse for her uppity attitude?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Karrine Steffans, Please Have a Seat and Delete Your Twitter Account While You’re at It
- Tips to Maintaining a Weave: Products, Hair Recommendations and More
- Ask A Very Smart Brotha Live: Sifting Through the Sh!t & Waiting for Him to Commit
- Top Beauty Picks: Exfoliators For Every Type of Skin
- When His Problems Shouldn’t Be Yours
- A Final Word: What Drove Whitney To Bobby?
- Celebs Who Rode Their Famous Sibling’s Coattails to Success
- Uplifting Nuggets of Wisdom From Maya Angelou