Eddie Murphy is one of the most animated comedians and actors around so it only makes sense for him to take on the character of James Brown, one of the most animated entertainers of the last century, in a biopic. Eddie thinks so too, which is why he’s in a rush to get the project off the ground. He told BlackTreeTV:
“His story is incredible. Imagine how incredible Ray Charles’ story was. What an incredible job he did, and he’s at the piano. James is doing splits and running and Angel Dust and jumping and shooting up tires. James’ story is bananas. James’ story is sex, drugs, rock and roll and what the f***.”
Eddie is crazy. He said the script for the movie has already been written, but James’ family hasn’t yet given it the green light. Eddie joked that if they don’t hurry up, he’ll be too old to play the part.
“There’s the most incredible script that Spike Lee worked on that’s James Brown. That’s incredible. It has everything in it, but you have to get with the people who have the rights to James’ story.
“I just hope it comes together in the next few years. I’m 50. I ain’t going to be able to do a split in a few years. My split days are coming to an end very shortly.”
It would be nice to see Eddie play a part in something other than a PG comedy for kids (or dressed up like a woman), and he feels the same way.
“That James Brown thing is a great, great piece I wish could come together. It has everything.”
Do you think Eddie Murphy would do a great job playing James Brown?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Celebs Who Rode Their Famous Sibling’s Coattails to Success
- I Get it Now: Parental Wisdom That Took a Minute To Grasp
- No Child Left Behind: Can Having a Big Family Harm Your Children?
- Why I Question The Release of A Posthumous Aaliyah Album
- Getting To Happy: 7 Habits That Can Change Your Life
- Let Sleeping Dogs Lie: 6 Reasons Not to Go Back to Your Ex
- True Life: If I Could Say Anything to My First Love, I’d Say…
- Is The Black Standard of Beauty Giving You Low Self-Esteem?