A few years back Regina King mentioned that she would love to portray the first Black New York Congresswoman and Presidential Candidate Shirley Chisholm in a film and it looks like the actress may have finally gotten her chance.
While Regina hasn’t said anything about the role for some time, Kerry Washington recently let the news slip in an interview with Kam Williams for BMoreNews.com. While answering questions about her upcoming movie roles, she casually said,
“And I just heard that Regina King is doing Shirley Chisholm, perfect casting, which is another story that has to be told.”
According to Shadow and Act, a film titled “Chisolm” is listed on IMDB under Creative Monster Productions with a 2012 release date. The film is said to be in pre-production, but no details about Regina or any other members of the cast have been listed.
Hopefully Kerry Washington has the inside scoop and this biopic is definitely happening. She’s right that this is a story that needs to be told.
What do you think about Regina King taking on this role? Is she the perfect pick like Kerry says?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Is The Black Standard of Beauty Giving You Low Self-Esteem?
- True Life: If I Could Say Anything to My First Love, I’d Say…
- No Child Left Behind: Can Having a Big Family Harm Your Children?
- 7 Things A Man Only Does If He’s Serious About You
- Brotherly Love: Celebrity ‘Bromances’ We Like To See
- I’m Sorry, But You Can’t Put Your Biological Clock on Snooze Forever
- When It’s Not Worth Fixing
- Is Graduate School Worth It? 6 Things To Consider Before Taking The Plunge