Before Chanel Iman appeared on the covers of American Vogue and Italian Elle, and before Jourdan Dunn became the first black model to walk Prada’s runway in over a decade, women like Donyale Luna, Naomi Sims and Beverly Johnson strutted and posed confidently in the face of adversity.
In honor of Black History Month, we take a look back at 25 African-American models who have helped to reshape the standard of beauty.
Check out the 25 models who set the standard at Black Voices.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- The Severity Behind Every Street Holla
- Why Are You Hiding Your Boos? Celeb Women Who Are Always Acting Single
- Is Sex Addiction the Land Where All Cheating Lovers Go?
- I Know You Mean Well, But…7 Reasons Why BET Kills Me Softly
- Dry Season: Seven Reasons to Consider Being Celibate
- What You Do And Don’t Need To Agree On In A Relationship
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha Live: Biters and Body Odor
- Open Letter to Single Black Women