Boris Kodjoe and Nicole Ari Parker Share the Secrets to Their Happy Marriage
Boris Kodjoe and Nicole Ari Parker are one of our favorite black Hollywood couples—they’re gorgeous, in love, and seemingly have minimal drama living in the suburbs of Atlanta away from the limelight. After seven years of marriage, 10 years of being together, and two kids, the pair seems to be doing something right, and they recently chatted with Essence.com to share what that something is, and how other couples can get it.
When it comes to men, “Guys have to be more present,” Boris says:
“When the wife walks in, it should be an event. You have to look up, you have to close the computer, and you have to say, hey baby, wow!”
I knew there was a reason I liked this man—besides his looks. Of course Nicole doesn’t have any complaints with that advice, but she says it’s not just about being complimented, it’s the simple things like being treated that way that make her want to go out of her way to please him.
“When he does it, I feel like a million bucks,” she says. “Then I’m nice all day. That’s when the food comes. I’m roasting chicken with rosemary and lavender, and everything.”
I don’t think there’s any woman who disagrees with that sentiment, but for some reason some men just don’t get it. Like Boris says, it’s very simple:
“Make her feel great and you get food and everything else.”
#Truth! Check out more of the couple’s exclusive—and hilarious—interview as they talk about meeting on the set of “Soul Food,” how they plan to make it last forever, and things you need to be wary of before jumping the broom.
What’s your secret to a happy marriage?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- More than Foxy Brown: Queens of Blaxploitation Films
- What’s Your Secret? 40-Something Women Who Look 30-Something
- NFL Player Loses Wife and Mother of Two to Suspected Brain Aneurysm
- Madonna, Chelsea Handler and White Woman Privilege
- Does Beyoncé’s Loreal Campaign Offend You?
- Ray J Discusses Relationships with ‘KK’ and Whitney in New Tell-All Book
- Who Deserves The Blame For Whitney Houston’s Demise?
- 10 Common Natural Hair Habits You Should Stop…Now