Meet the Girl Behind Target’s ‘Rolling in the Deep’ Ad
If you asked most people what their favorite part of the Grammy’s was, they’d probably say the commercials, particularly the one staring 11-year-old Denise Bestman singing Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep.”
The target ad debuted during the award show and featured Denise on a bus belting out the popular song—oblivious to the other riders with her headphones on—until they joined in with the background vocals. The performance was actually pretty similar to the one that landed Denise the gig in the first place. Target tracked down the Staten Island native after seeing a YouTube video of her performing the song as part of the PS 22 chorus. When producers couldn’t reach her mother, they contacted the school and got in touch with her chorus leader. Now, everybody there sees Denise as a star.
“This morning the majority of my school knew,” Denise said about her return to school Monday after the commercial aired. “I was so in shock.”
This isn’t Denise’s first big gig though. Last year, she attended the Academy Awards in LA and performed “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” as part of the PS 22 Chorus. The students also got to sing with Katy Perry on Oprah during their trip. We’ll have to see what Denise has in store now that she’s a sixth grader at Edwin Markham Intermediate School 51.
Check out the ad here in case you missed it the other night. She killed it, right?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- More than Foxy Brown: Queens of Blaxploitation Films
- What’s Your Secret? 40-Something Women Who Look 30-Something
- NFL Player Loses Wife and Mother of Two to Suspected Brain Aneurysm
- Madonna, Chelsea Handler and White Woman Privilege
- Does Beyoncé’s Loreal Campaign Offend You?
- Ray J Discusses Relationships with ‘KK’ and Whitney in New Tell-All Book
- Who Deserves The Blame For Whitney Houston’s Demise?
- 10 Common Natural Hair Habits You Should Stop…Now