Last night Chaka Khan appeared on CNN to talk about the passing of Whitney Houston and she told Piers Morgan what many people had been dying to say about the Clive Davis party that went on in the same hotel where Whitney’s body lay upstairs: it shouldn’t have happened.
“I thought that was complete insanity,” Chaka Khan said. “Knowing Whitney, I don’t believe that she would have said ‘the show must go on.’”
Chaka Khan also questioned Clive’s motives for continuing on with the party, saying:
“I don’t know what could motivate a person to have a party in a building where the person whose life he had influenced so enormously and who’s life had been affected by hers…I don’t understand how that party went on.”
Piers Morgan tried to say Clive turned the party into a tribute, but Chaka Khan, who didn’t attend, said a true tribute would have been gathering people together for a prayer, possibly sharing a meal, and then going home, not carrying on as nothing happened.
In another clip, Chaka Khan also talked about her own drug past and said it was a mistake for Whitney to come into town for an entire week before the Grammy’s, knowing her history of substance abuse.
“Whoever flew her out to perform at that party should have provided someone to be there to somehow keep the riff raff out of the situation and some of the dangerous people away.”
Check out the clips of the interview below. Do you think Chaka Khan is right?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Are You Giving Folks The WHOLE Story When It Comes to Your Relationship Drama?
- What’s Your Secret? 40-Something Women Who Look 30-Something
- Moooooom!: 6 of Hollywood’s Most Embarrassing Mothers
- Madonna, Chelsea Handler and White Woman Privilege
- 7 Misconceptions Men Have About Women
- Ray J Discusses Relationships with ‘KK’ and Whitney in New Tell-All Book
- Beauty At The Least: The Best Bargains To Help You Stay Beautiful
- Black vs. African American: Do You Have a Preference?