We don’t like to talk about mental illness. This is pretty much the case across the board but especially true in the black community. For many of us the only time we acknowledge mental illness is when we’re telling someone to pray it away or condemning them for taking some drastic action their disease spurred.
The truth is, we’re really ignorant about how deep mental illness really goes.
So it’s good that the country will get to see a black woman portraying a character with bipolar disorder.
Learn more about Anika’s character and watch some of her performance at Eurweb.com
More on Madame Noire!
- Shopping With the Enemy: 7 Signs You Might Have a “Frenemy” in Your Circle
- How To Cope With The Agony of Unrequited Love
- Boy, Bye!: 6 Stupid Reasons to Turn a Man Down
- 7 Things That Should Never Happen In The Bedroom
- Scent From the Heart: 10 Fragrances Perfect for Valentine’s Day
- Ish is Getting Real: Gonorrhea’s Becoming Untreatable
- Hair Q&A: Front Edges and Dry Scalp
- Don’t Get It Twisted: Mo and Kita Say Terrell Owens Betrayed Them