It’s not just natural hair that get’s “special treatment” by the TSA, apparently yaki is subject to airport security scrutiny as well, according to a mild Twitter rant Gabrielle Union went on yesterday. Apparently, while the actress was attempting to go through airport security her weave set off the alarm and she was subject to a pat down. She tweeted:
“Ma weave got ‘flagged’ by the bodyscan at security. TSA required a hair patdown. No lie…they coulda just asked if it was the temple hair”
“If human hair & thread sets off the bodyscanner…a lot of folks jus ended up on the ‘watch list’…its a weave not terrorism.”
A follower empathized, telling Gabrielle she always gets stopped by a black security guard, and Gabrielle replied: “Girl it WAS a black female TSA agent!”
After she was able to board the plane, Gabby was in more of a joking mood about the whole situation, tweeting:
“Bout to take off…hopefully my weave doesn’t cause turbulence…its clearly very powerful”
And a couple hours after touch down, she was still on it:
“Came home 2 a dead bird whod flown n2 the glass…I suspect my weave had something 2 do w/ the bird murder
She’s a mess but so is the TSA. We know how they like to turn individual issues into policy protocols. Hopefully weave won’t become the new pat down red flag.
Has your weave ever set off alarms or forced you to have a hair pat down at the airport?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- 8 Big Mistakes Baby Mothers Often Make
- Brow Beating: People Whose Eyebrows Inspire Our Tweezing
- Boy, Bye!: 6 Stupid Reasons to Turn a Man Down
- 7 Things That Should Never Happen In The Bedroom
- Scent From the Heart: 10 Fragrances Perfect for Valentine’s Day
- Are You A Coward When It Comes To Breaking Up?
- Hair Q&A: Front Edges and Dry Scalp
- So, What Do Their Moms Look Like