As you can see, Kerry Washington will be the featured celebrity for the March issue of Essence magazine. Naturally, she’ll be speaking about her new role in the Shonda Rhimes created drama Scandal.
While the Hollywood landscape for black actresses has been less than favorable, Washington says now is a good time to be an actress of color.
“I think it’s a really special time to be a woman of color in this business. The landscape of who has the power is changing. We are in more influential positions and are able to have a say in the stories that are told. I feel very lucky to be in the business now.”
She also credited Jennifer Lopez for encouraging her to take a risk on an acting career.
“I grew up blocks away from Jennifer Lopez. She and I went to the same Boys & Girls Club. She was like the dancer who made it big and moved to Hollywood.”
When she got a chance to speak to Lopez, she told her how much of an impact she had on her life.
“I don’t know if I would’ve taken a risk in my career if it weren’t for you.”
Just goes to show you, you can find inspiration anywhere and you should never be afraid to take a risk when it comes to your talent.
More on Madame Noire!
- What The Heck Happened To You: What Lost Celebs Look Like Nowadays
- Working Your Degree While You’re Waiting: Non-Traditional Paths to Employment
- 7 Things That Could Change The Way He Feels About You
- Say Cheese! Unfortunate Yet Unforgettable Celebrity Mug Shots
- Reader Sound Off! 10 Female Singers Who Are Underrated…
- The High-Income Woman’s Guide to Dating a Man Who Makes Less
- The Father, The Son and The Oprah Winfrey
- Seriously, What’s With All the Overly Aggressive Men in the Club Nowadays?