BET Bans ‘Stupid Hoe’: Sexist or Justified?
BET is continuing its trend of sexism by being harsher on sexed-up female artists than the males who have slews of naked women around them while they rap suspect lyrics.
According to TMZ, the network is refusing to air Nicki Minaj’s latest single, “Stupid Hoe.” A rep for BET wouldn’t specify exactly why the video was banned, but he did say BET will not broadcast it. Other sources at the company said the ban was put in place because the video is too explicit for TV.
A lot of people had strong (negative) reactions to the song and video, and BET would no doubt have it’s work cut out for them bleeping out every use of “hoe” in the song, but aside from a few booty pops in a cage, the video wasn’t any raunchier than others I’ve seen the network air. In recent years, Ciara’s “Ride,” Teairra Mari’s “Sponsor,” and now Nicki’s song are the only videos I can recall being banned. If there was still an “Uncut,” I wonder if they would get airplay there? That’s where all the raunchy male artists were given a pass.
I’m not saying Nicki’s song and video don’t have questionable aspects, but it seems BET is saying it’s only OK for women to be raunchy in a video when a man is pulling the strings.
Here’s the video if you haven’t seen it. What do you think about the ban? Did BET make the right choice or do they come down too hard on female artists?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- What The Heck Happened To You: What Lost Celebs Look Like Nowadays
- Working Your Degree While You’re Waiting: Non-Traditional Paths to Employment
- 7 Things That Could Change The Way He Feels About You
- Say Cheese! Unfortunate Yet Unforgettable Celebrity Mug Shots
- Reader Sound Off! 10 Female Singers Who Are Underrated…
- The High-Income Woman’s Guide to Dating a Man Who Makes Less
- The Father, The Son and The Oprah Winfrey
- Seriously, What’s With All the Overly Aggressive Men in the Club Nowadays?