I guess Oprah’s bought into the whole marriage leads to divorce spiel—not that we didn’t kinda already know that. But people are still curious why, after being together for 26 years, she and Stedman haven’t made it official, and she told an audience during a filming of “Oprah’s Next Chapter” at the Jaipur Literature Festival in India that not marrying Stedman has been for the best.
“I think that had we gotten married we probably would have been divorced by now. And he would agree. I really am my own woman and I don’t really conform very well to other people ideas about who and what I should be and being married calls for some conformity.”
If there were any man who could take Oprah’s hand in marriage, she says it would be Stedman, but as things would have it, she says she simply isn’t the marrying kind.
I would think after 26 years together she’d still have to do some bending and compromising to make their relationship work, but maybe the freedom of knowing you can walk away when you want to without and legal or financial hassle at the end of the day keeps the peace. Still I wonder what all she thinks would be different if they had rings on their fingers.
What do you think about Oprah’s idea of what makes someone the marrying kind? Do you think you are or are you more like Oprah?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Evening Eye Candies: 6 HOT Reasons to See “Red Tails” NOW…The Delicious Cast
- Sisters In Hiding: Not So Famous Sisters of Famous Celebs
- Delusions Of A Thirsty Chick
- Racism? Why I’m Not Surprised By The Help’s Nomination For Best Picture
- 7 Curl Defining Products to Get Your Curls and Coils Poppin’
- Traits of Trifling Parents
- He Loves Me: Men Who Just Adore Their Wives
- New Documentary Gets ‘In Our Heads About Our Hair’