New Documentary Gets ‘In Our Heads About Our Hair’
Black women talking about black hair—we’re already off to a good start from the perspective that at least black women are talking about themselves, but with a topic like hair, there’s bound to be some controversy.
Hemamset Angaza has directed a new documentary produced by Anu Prestonia, Maitefa Angaza, and Paulette Maat Kesa Tab, called “In Our Heads About Out Hair” that tackle’s black women’s issues regarding hair and self-esteem. An important aspect of the video, which takes a more lighthearted approach to the topic, is that it advocates for the acceptance of all hairstyle choices. It also questions the role black men’s opinions play into black women’s hair choices.
The documentary will make its debut at the BAM New Voices in Black Cinema film festival in February. Watch the trailer and tell us what you think. Would you check out this film when it’s released?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Sisters In Hiding: Not So Famous Sisters of Famous Celebs
- Delusions Of A Thirsty Chick
- Things Black Mothers Say
- Celebrity Mistresses: The Good, The Bad, and The Trifling
- 7 Curl Defining Products to Get Your Curls and Coils Poppin’
- Family Ties: 7 Rappers Who Finally Grew Up
- He Loves Me: Men Who Just Adore Their Wives
- What Exactly Makes Something Ghetto?