Octavia Spencer is Hollywood’s “it girl” right now, riding the success of her Golden Globe win and anticipation of an Oscar nomination. With new fame comes the ability to demand more, and that’s exactly what Octavia plans to do when it comes to her movie roles going forward.
“The studios are still not going to beat down my door unless it’s a small part in a big comedy, and I’ve done those,” she told 24 Frames. “If you build it, they will come, and that’s what I’m doing, one brick at a time.”
Octavia says her role in the new movie “Smashed” is the first stepping stone. The film, which premieres at the Sundance Film Festival this weekend, stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead as an alcoholic who is trying to get sober despite her heavy-drinking husband (Aaron Paul). Octavia will play a recovering alcoholic who serves as Kate’s sponsor.
“I get to play someone different than who I usually am,”she says. ”It’s nice to play roles when I’m not just a sassy black woman.”
That’s how her character, Minnie Jackson, was portrayed in “The Help,” but despite having to fill such a stereotypical role in Black Hollywood, Octavia says the opportunity was worth it:
“You do a movie like that to get a movie like this.”
Are you anxious to see where Octavia Spencer’s career heads next?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Are You A Socially Awkward Black Girl?
- Terribly Tatted Up: When Celebrities Get Ratchet Tattoos for the Ones They Love
- The Most Painful Things A Woman Can Say To A Man
- Huh?!?: 8 Media Moments That Made Us Go WTF
- We Are Family: Shocking Celebrity Relatives!
- Let’s Be Real: Things in Life You Need to Blame Yourself For From Time to Time
- 7 Simple Things Men Can Do That All Women Will Love