Essence Atkins is beaming with joy as a new mommy. She welcomed her son, Varro Blair Mendez, on Christmas day and recently told Essence.com that giving birth is the most ‘astonishing’ thing she’s ever experienced.
“I’ll have these moments where I look at [my son] and I just can’t believe he’s mine.”
“You go through all this suffering, but at the end of it, look what God gives you,” she said.
Luckily, since giving birth things have been smoot sailing for mommy and baby. Essence said her son is a natural at breastfeeding, joking that “he knew what to do from the moment they put him on me.” She also explained the meaning behind her son’s name. Varro is Latin surname meaning “durable and strong” and she chose Blair in honor of one of her husband’s college friends who died a month before the two met online.
“People are usually so derogatory towards celebrities on social media. But this is one of the times where I just feel nothing but love. I’m grateful.”
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Six Fashion Trends Sistas Need to Change. Now.
- What We’ve Learned From Ratchet Reality TV
- Do You Confuse Basic Male Traits as Bonuses?
- Ashy to Classy: Must Have Beauty Products to Curb Head to Toe Winter Dryness
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha: Freshmen Woes & Possessive Types
- S*** Black Girls Say vs. S*** White Girls Say to Black Girls