Hopefully the third time will be the charm when it comes to marriages for Aretha Franklin. The Queen of Soul announced that she’s been taken off the market by her good friend, William “Willie” Wilkerson.
It’s not clear whether Aretha and Willie were one of many celebrity engagements to occur this holiday season, but Aretha’s rep confirmed to People that she is in fact getting married.
Ms. Franklin said the couple is contemplating a summer wedding, perhaps in Miami Beach, although she wants the reception to take place on a private yacht. She’s also considering taping Vera Wang, Valentino, or Donna Karan to make her wedding gown.
Sensing the side eyes at her advanced marital age, the 69-year-old joked, “No, I’m not pregnant,” when she made the announcement. That’s definitely good to know.
Aretha first married family acquaintance Ted White in 1961 and the couple divorced eight years later. In 1978, she married actor Glynn Turman from “Cooley High” and “A Different World,” but they ended things in 1984. Seems Aretha’s waited a long time to find the one.
What do you think of her engagement?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Yesterday’s Year In Review: The Good and Bad of 2011
- The Top 10 Most Shocking Celebrity Scandals of 2011
- Deuces Before The Due Date! Couples Who Split With Babies On The Way
- Celebrity Hair Spotlight: Selita Ebanks
- Should a Man’s Religion Affect Your Dating Decisions?
- Mane Magic:Ways To Color Your Hair Without Dye