What To Do When You Don’t Get Your W-2

January 30, 2012  |  
Your W-2 form is one of the many forms you need to file your tax return. It’s the form your employer sends (or hands you) you every January with a tally of the amount of wages they paid you and the amount they took out for your state and federal tax payments. If you file your taxes by mail, you need this form to send in with your paper tax forms. Even if you file your taxes online, you need the information on your W-2 to fill out the Internet tax forms and you should keep your W-2 on file in case of an audit.

Generally, you should receive your W-2 by the last week of January, which gives you plenty of time to get your taxes together before the April 15 deadline each year. If you’ve changed addresses since you filled out your original tax reporting paperwork with your job, it may take longer for the form to make it to you. But if you haven’t received your form by the second week of February, be sure to contact your employer to ask about it. Depending on the company’s accounting and filing practices, they can usually mail or fax you a replacement. Some companies upload their W-2 forms to the Internet and let you download and print them yourself, which might be the best option.

But what if you can’t reach that employer or your attempts to request a new W-2 are ignored? Well, after February 15, you can contact the IRS at 800-829-1040  and ask the IRS to initiate a W-2 complaint. The IRS contacts your employer to let them know the penalties they can incur if they don’t send you a W-2. Then it sends you a Form 4852, which is a W-2 replacement form. Use your last paycheck to fill out the form and file your taxes. Just be as accurate as possible to avoid any other issues. If your employer comes up with a form, you can always amend your tax return. Happy filing!

More on Madame Noire!

Trending on MadameNoire

View Comments
Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN
  • I didn’t get mine in the mail and turns out my HR person had it. So one day I get to work and she’s like “Oh, I’ve got your W2.” Not getting it must be frustrating.

  • Kisses

    PLEASE don’t call the IRS unless it is a last resort. Even then, there is little that we can do, ESPECIALLY if the company is out of business! Download the form yourself and follow the instructions!

    Better yet, if you’ve been employed there for longer than a year, use your last paystub and grab the EIN # from your last w2 with that company in order to efile (you’ll need the 4868 if you mail your return).

    • Iuybukgkug

      Women are sometimes fragile, want a
      real-man to protect you? Join in —militaryloves**C0’M—, here you will meet lots
      of servicemen and find friendship, love, romance, marriage or even more with those
      armed forces, police, navy, security, medical, ambulance, prison, air crew and
      fire fighters! You will not regret for dating with military personnel. Just sign
      up and nothing will lose if you don’t like it. Thanks….