This breakfast is definitely for the weekend…after you’ve gone for a five-mile walk and completed 200 jumping jacks.
The Food Network has a show called “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” where the stars of the channel talk about the best pizza, Bar-B-Que, dessert, bread they ever tasted. On the breakfast episode, Bobby Flay goes on and on about this Stuffed French Toast he had at Cafe 222 in San Diego, CA. The chef/owner, Terryl, then makes the dish and so did I. I didn’t have the honey, rum or orange, but it still tasted great, was easy to make and so delicious. Try it this weekend, you won’t regret it!
PEANUT BUTTER & BANANA STUFFED FRENCH TOAST FOR 2
- Take 4 slices of wheat bread (of course you can use white bread as well, either way remove crusts)
- Top with 2 ripe bananas sliced length-wise
- Spread peanut butter on each slice (as much as you want)
- Drizzle with honey
- Close sandwiches and set aside. Make the batter below.
- Combine: 4 eggs, 1/2 cup half/half, 1/4 cup OJ, splash of vanilla, 1tsp cinnamon, 1Tbs rum, zest of 1/2 orange. Mix until well combined.
- Carefully dip sandwiches in the batter and cook on a hot buttered grill until browned on both sides.