It’s not exactly a shocker that white men are at the top of the economic chain on Wall Street, but the fact that their average earnings are more than double that of black women makes me want to go occupy something.
Here’s the breakdown of average annual salaries according to the recent Progress and Pitfalls of Diversity on Wall Street report:
White men: $155K
White women: $100K
Black men: $90K
Black women: $60K
The numbers are based on the 2005 to 2009 American Communities Survey and show a 15% increase in earnings for white men compared to data from the 2000 federal census.
Hmph. Cheers to the 99%. Did you suspect white men were banking that much more than black women on Wall Street?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Differences That Are Worth Overcoming, And Those Worth Being Stubborn About
- Well You Don’t Say: 10 White Singers We Once Thought Were Black
- Breaking It Down: What Men Think of Things Women Do
- The Questions He Hopes You Never Ask
- Best New Books by African American Authors
- 9 Inconvenient Truths About Men and Cheating
- Hot Business Looks on a Tiny Budget Through Thrifting!