(Chicago Tribune) — Ten years ago, when Evany Turk’s doctor entered an examination room to tell her that she’d tested positive for HIV, she was devastated. “I sat there wondering, ‘Why me?'” said Turk, now 34. “I’d been in a committed relationship for three years. We had used a condom the entire time because I was a teen mom and I wanted to be careful. … We had decided to have a baby and I went to the doctor thinking I was feeling sick and fatigued because I was pregnant. But I had HIV.” She said she thought her life was over. Her plan was to leave her doctor’s Hyde Park office and drive her car into the brick wall of a bank across the street. But when she got outside, she saw people standing at the bus stop by the building and couldn’t put them in harm’s way. Though she decided against ending her life that day, over the next five years she would face a series of other walls: She’d quit her job and move out of state. She’d isolate herself from her friends and family members because she didn’t want them to know she had HIV. She’d try suicide two more times and eventually wind up homeless.
- MN Business
- Follow MadameNoire on Instagram
- Follow MadameNoire on Tumblr
- Like MadameNoire on Facebook
- Follow MadameNoire on Twitter
- Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube
- Follow MadameNoire on Pinterest
- Follow MadameNoire on Google+
- Subscribe to MadameNoire
- Domestic Violence Watch
- Meagan Good, Chad Coleman To Star In Law & Order: SVU Episode On Domestic Violence
- “You Put Your Hands On Me” Ray J’s Ex Manager Morgan Hardman Says He Hit Her
- A Real Stand Up Guy: Memphitz Threatens To Release K Michelle Sex Tape
- K. Michelle: I Didn’t Lie About Being Abused
- “To Get To Be A Professional Athlete, It Takes Anger.” Terry Crews Talks Anger And It Effect On Athletes
Sign up for the newsletter.
MadameNoire is a sophisticated lifestyle publication that gives African-American women the latest in fashion trends, black entertainment news, parenting tips and beauty secrets that are specifically for black women. Black women seek information on a wide variety of topics including African-American hair care, health issues, relationship advice and career trends - and MadameNoire provides all of that.
MadameNoire ® Copyright © 2010-2014 Moguldom Media Group. All Rights Reserved | Moguldom Multicultural