(The Grio) — Black folks in Obama’s hometown of Chicago, Illinois have little confusion when it comes to the state of the economy. With the national African-American unemployment rate at 16.7 percent, the highest since 1984, Chicago’s community of color is a dismal example. ”I know that our black men don’t have nowhere to fit,” says Chi-town native Orlando Chaff, who was out of work for 3 years before recently finding a job as a limo driver. “Too many of them standing around the house, standing on the block.” It’s not just the brothers with too much time to hang. Statistics show that black men in the United States, have the highest unemployment numbers in the U.s. at 19.1 percent. But the rate for African-American women is close behind at 14.5 percent.
More on Madame Noire!
- Top Ten List of Sexay Black Nerds, Who Can Get It
- Big Things Come In Small Packages:15 Celebrity Women 5'2" And Shorter
- 11 Tips To Have A Fun Girls Getaway And Still Come Back Friends
- Doing The Most And They Know It: Celebs Who Regret Showing Too Much Skin
- Going My Way? How To Flirt On Public Transit
- Make It Hot! Fun Ways To Spice Up Your Sex Life
- True Life: I Wish I'd Known This When I Graduated College...
Mommy In Chief
Mommy In Chief
Is your child energetic and full of life?Read More
Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN