(Forbes) – Joseph Kabila, Congolese, President, Democratic Republic of Congo: When he was 29, Kabila became the President of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) after his father, former President Laurent Kabila, was assassinated in a coup attempt at the height of a cataclysmic civil war. As soon as he took the reins of power, Kabila moved quickly to end the country’s civil war by negotiating peace agreements with rebel forces, and played a lead role in the signing of the historic Sun City agreement in 2002, which ended the war. Kabila consolidated his hold on power in 2006 when he won the country’s first democratic elections in over 40 years. The DRC has the second highest infant-mortality rate and the second lowest nominal GDP per capita in the world, despite its immense deposits of mineral resources. But Kabila believes he can fix it all with more time. He is seeking re-election during November’s Presidential elections.
More on Madame Noire!
- Top Ten List of Sexay Black Nerds, Who Can Get It
- Big Things Come In Small Packages:15 Celebrity Women 5'2" And Shorter
- 11 Tips To Have A Fun Girls Getaway And Still Come Back Friends
- Doing The Most And They Know It: Celebs Who Regret Showing Too Much Skin
- Going My Way? How To Flirt On Public Transit
- Make It Hot! Fun Ways To Spice Up Your Sex Life
- True Life: I Wish I'd Known This When I Graduated College...
Mommy In Chief
Mommy In Chief
Is your child energetic and full of life?Read More
Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN