Last week, HITS Daily Double projected that Rihanna’s sixth studio album, “Talk That Talk,” would sell between 180,000 and 200,000 copies in its first week; sales records show that prediction was dead on.
Coming in at the #3 spot this week, “Talk That Talk” sold 197,000 copies. The ranking certainly doesn’t make the album a flop, but many continue to question why Rihanna can’t pull in a #1 record, particularly with the success of her singles, most recently, “We Found Love.” The reported trouble Rihanna has had selling concert tickets also doesn’t bid well for her staying power in the industry, despite the media frenzy that continues to swarm around the young star. It seems Rihanna’s controversies carry more weight than her craft.
Did you pick up a copy of “Talk That Talk?” Why do you think the singer hasn’t been able to secure a no. 1 record during her six-year career?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Differences That Are Worth Overcoming, And Those Worth Being Stubborn About
- Well You Don’t Say: 10 White Singers We Once Thought Were Black
- Breaking It Down: What Men Think of Things Women Do
- The Questions He Hopes You Never Ask
- Best New Books by African American Authors
- 9 Inconvenient Truths About Men and Cheating
- Hot Business Looks on a Tiny Budget Through Thrifting!