(Time) — Drilling engineers like to say that oil and gas wells have personalities — and that they always need to be treated with care. The Deepwater Horizon was drilling in the Macondo prospect in the Gulf of Mexico when an explosion sank the rig on April 20, triggering a spill that has spewed up to 40 million gal. of oil into the sea, with more flowing every day. In the weeks since, the energy giant BP has tried multiple ways to close the partially blown well — top hats, containment domes, tube insertions, junk shots, top kills — and has failed every time, as if the out-of-control well doesn’t want to cooperate.
More on Madame Noire!
- 15 Women Who Married Celebrity Men Who Started From The Bottom
- Surprise Pregnancies And The Insane Che Mack: 9 Ratch Things We Learned While Watching Love And Hip Hop Atlanta Last Night
- That'll Do: Movie Franchises We've Definitely Had Enough Of
- At A Loss For Words? Good Topics To Talk About On A First Date
- For The Fellas: Signs A Woman May Be Totally Crazy
- Don't Knock It Until You See It: Celebs Who Were Side-Eyed For Biopics Because They Didn't "Look" The Part
- When Women Text... The Ways We Drive Ourselves Crazy Over SMS
Mommy In Chief
Mommy In Chief
Is your child energetic and full of life?Read More
Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN